You are currently browsing the monthly archive for October 2009.

Driveway to Flowerhill

Driveway to Flowerhill

Since the spring of 1926, each of the presidents of Alabama College/University of Montevallo and their families have lived in a stately, two-story brick dwelling a third of a mile away from the heart of the campus at the end of a tree-lined drive: Flowerhill.

Before that date, the presidents had lived elsewhere.  Captain Reynolds had his own home in Montevallo on a spot where Whaley Center is now.  It was a huge, rambling Victorian structure that housed not only his own family but, in the early years, some students and faculty as well.  The second president, Dr. Francis M. Peterson, lived in a brick veneer president’s home built in 1906 that stood on a spot between the present Wills and Palmer Halls.  Dr. Palmer also later lived there until it burned on May 5, 1921.  The Palmer family moved into the Infirmary where they remained until Dr. Palmer died in 1926.

The president’s new home had been designed by Mrs. Palmer but she did not choose the furnishings, leaving that to the next “first lady,” Mrs. O. C. Carmichael, and the Executive Committee of the Board of Trustees.  Insurance money from the first president’s home was used for that purpose.  Loveman’s in Birmingham were low bidders for the furniture and Jobe Rose for the silver.  The first official function in the new facility was a reception on May 22, 1926.

During its first half century, the house had had only minor repairs so it was not surprising that a thorough overhaul was needed by the time the coming of UM’s 11th president.  In 1977-78, at the direction of the Board of Trustees, floors were shored up, new wiring and plumbing installed, the walls restored and redecorated and furnishings either restored or replaced.  Today, it is again a lovely place in which to live and entertain and is a focal point of campus social life.

That Flowerhill is a beauty spot is primarily due to the interest and gardening skills of two presidents’ wives, Mrs. A. F. Harman and Mrs. D. P. Culp.

Flowerhill

Flowerhill

(This is an excerpt from White Columns & Red Bricks by Lucille Griffith, Ph. D.)

Wills Hall

Wills Hall

Wills Hall was the library from 1923 until Carmicheal Library was opened in 1969.  The Board of Trustees authorized the construction of the building at the same meeting (May 1921) that it instructed Dr. Palmer to expand the curriculum to make the school a degree-granting college.

The library originally (1896-97) was a project of a number of Montevallo women interested in forming a literary club.  They engaged the support of the Alabama Federation of Women’s Clubs in supplying books and periodicals for a library.  Before 1923 the books had been stored in many temporary places, from the pastor’s study at the Baptist church to the “Fun Room” on the second floor of Main.

Warren, Knight, and Davis were the architects, and Smallman and Bryce the contractors, who used Alabama materials almost exclusively.  Interesting architectural features include beautiful arched windows on the side toward Palmer Hall and a triple arch Palladian window at each end of the ninety foot reading room.

In 1939-40, more stacks and a periodical room were added, doubling the size of the building.  Another change came in 1968-69 when the building was renovated and enlarged for the College of Education.  Air-conditioned, completely carpeted, serviced by an elevator and furnished with colorful equipment, it is now an office classroom building – but one that combines the traditional and modern.

In 1975, an addition was added to the west, doubling the size of the building.  Dampier Harris and Associates were the architects; R.H. Parsons and Company the contractors.  Funds came from the Alabama Public School and College Authority.

Edward Houston Wills (1882-1946)

Edward Houston Wills was connected with this school from 1909 until his death in June 1946, thirty-seven years.  To each of the three presidents he served under – Palmer, Carmichael, and Harman – he was “a good right arm, handling the countless business details of the college.”

With degrees from both Alabama Polytechnic Institute and Cornell University, he was equipped to move from position to position as the need arose.  He came to what was then Alabama Girls’ Industrial School as purchasing agent; he was soon adding classes in history and, later, commercial law.  By 1929 he had become Registrar and Business Manager; but in 1945-46, his last year, the two positions had been divided with him remaining Business Manager.

But Mr. Wills was more than a good business manager.  As the Montgomery Advertiser said at his death, he was an admirable gentlemen “with warmth and an honest humanity that drew students to him for friendship and counsel.”  Twice students honored him publicly – in 1933 they dedicated the yearbook to him and in 1940, College Night.

Wills Hall is named in his honor.  After his death his widow, Phoebe Wills, continued to live in Montevallo, maintaining a close relationship with the campus.  She was for many years the gracious hostess at Reynolds Hall and assistant to the Head of Residence.  She outlived her husband by a third of a century, dying in 1981.

(This is an excerpt from White Columns & Red Bricks by Lucille Griffith, Ph. D.)

Twitter

October 2009
S M T W T F S
« Sep   Nov »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Visitor Map